The School of Education requires an admissions assessment to ensure we are admitting qualified candidates who can succeed in our programs. The admissions assessment also allows us to provide support to students preparing to meet state licensure requirements, including passing a basic skills assessment. Scores will be considered as one component in a whole file review admissions process. Please carefully review the dropdowns below to determine which assesmnet is required as part of your application to the School of Educaiton and the University of St. Thomas. Please contact us if you have questions on program requirements.
We also are a testing site for the Miller Analogies Test (MAT). Please see the dropdown below for more information. Please contact us if you have questions about our testing site.
If you hold a current state of Minnesota teaching license, you may not be required to take an admissions assessment.
Our admissions team will verify your license type and proof of basic skills competency. Verfication of current licensure and basic skills competency are required in lieu of a current test score.
If this is your first teaching license in the areas listed below, the School of Education and the University of St. Thomas require an admisisons assessment at the time of application.
You may choose to take the Minnesota NES Essential Academic Skills (EAS) -OR- the GRE if you are applying to the following programs:
- Elementary Education
- Secondary Education
- Communication Arts and Literature
- Earth Science
- Life Science
- Social Studies
- K-12 Physical Education with 5-12 Health
- K-12 World Language: Spanish
- K-12 Music
- Reading Licensure
- Special Education
- Academic Behavioral Strategist
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Developmental Disabilities
- Emotional Behavioral Disorders
- Early Childhood Special Education
- Learning Disabilities
Scores qulaifying for full admission:
- Minnesota NES Essential Academic Skills (EAS):
- Reading -520
- Mathematics - 520
- Writing - 520
- Verbal - 150
- Quantitative - 145
- Writing - 3
Here's what you need to know about taking the MAT at the University of St. Thomas:
- Test times are available every week, based on availability.
- The cost for taking the MAT at the University of St. Thomas is $85; we accept all major credit cards as payment.
- No refunds are available and you are required to arrive 15 minutes prior to your testing appointment.
- The exam takes exactly 1 hour and is administered electronically.
- You can expect to receive your official test scores within 10 business days.
- Pearson offers practice tests and tools to help you prepare for taking the exam. Please visit www.MillerAnalogies.com to learn more.
- If you are taking the MAT to fulfill an application requirement for a different institution, please check with your admissions counselor.
Please contact us to learn about the next available test time and to register for the exam.